Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cardinal Flowers

This is the final painting after several studies. I liked the 6 x 6 piece but I thought the flowers at the top looked squashed so I changed the dimensions of the painting to 6 x 8 to accomodate the tall bottle and the curving flower stem. The background didn't look quite right so it got changed to a more neutral grey, I'm not sure if I like it or not.

The initial painting in a 6 x 6 format

Preliminary Studies


  1. I just stopped in after finding you on Canadian Planet. I love the final painting. The colors are fabulous together, the cool blue and grey with the hit of red. Very appealing. Love the bottle.

  2. I think you made a giant step with this final painting. Everything is better here--the shape of the canvas better accomodates the design, the colors are way better and adding the reflections on the right have made it way more interesting--Bravo!